Let the City invest in your business while you invest in the City. All it takes is one easy STEP! Newport News’ Summer Training and Enrichment Program, STEP, is an investment in one of the City’s most important assets, its youth. By partnering with the City you can help to create summer training opportunities for our youth by providing them with real work experience within your place of business. Funded by the City, STEP is designed to help youth develop positive job attitudes and work skills that can lead to future success in both the classroom and workplace. Take that first step now!
How it Works
An educated workforce is essential in sustaining long term economic success. STEP interns explore diverse career interests, gain on the job skills, and prepare for meaningful careers.
After participating in a job readiness professional skills training program, participants are ready for a 10- week work experience.
- Reduce overhead cost on training and hiring efforts
- Gain valuable potential long term employees
- Give a young person a viable start
- Make the community a better place
- Structured work schedule
- Learning-rich training environment
- Responsible supervision
- Accurate tracking of workplace hours
What We Provide…
- Workplace Wages
- Workers’ Compensation Coverage and Liability Insurance
- Payroll deductions: FICA, Medicare, State and Local Tax
- Counseling to participants and supportive services for Employers
- Participant background checks upon request
Qualifying youth are in and out of school, ages 16-24. Participants will work 30 hours a week work schedules. Work schedules vary based on business needs.